I Really Do Love My Job

My Dad asked me last night if I had to work this morning. I told him yes, I did. Then I said "I never dread going to work." Dad said that is a good thing, and it made me consider my situation and why I like my job.

Even though I only work part-time at the church and have for the past five years or so, I really do enjoy it. I am, for lack of a better word, a janitor. But honestly, my position has offered so many benefits. I don't ever feel stressed, rushed, or micromanaged by my supervisor, and I am happy doing what I'm asked. It isn't the most glamorous job in the world, but there are janitors our there who deal with worse than I ever have. Working hard and seeing the finished product every day after I am through is satisfying. There aren't many people out there who can say that they feel satisfied after ending a full day of work. I am happy for those who can!

There are times when I am embarrassed to tell people when they ask what I do, but I need to let that go and really think about the gift God has given me in my work. It has allowed me to fulfill several dreams: my month long trip to England and Scotland in March, and most recently, my semester in DC. My Dad, who is retired, took over the job for me and cared for my building while I was gone both times this year, and for his help I will be eternally grateful.

I like going in to work every morning and know exactly what needs to be done. Seeing familiar faces that I care about whenever I walk through the doors is also an added benefit. We laugh all the time. It is also SO nice to be able to listen to my music or a podcast with no one bothering me while I work by myself. Doing janitorial work, you definitely find a groove and tend to stay in it.

Another benefit is that I find the time to think through things I want to write about. There is nothing like the hum of a vacuum going back and forth over large areas of carpet to help you gather your thoughts. I have had so many good ideas while cleaning! Just goes to show that we need to take time for ourselves to either sit quietly and think, or do some type of mundane task that offers a calm respite from the fast-paced craziness in this world.

All this to say, I very much enjoy my job and it just hit me last night. Everyone should find a job they enjoy, although I know that is not always possible. And if it's not, find something about your job you DO enjoy, and make it about that.

Comments

Popular Posts