Life, Simply

I woke up this morning worried that I wouldn't be able to remember it all today.

But remember all of what? That is the question.

Spending time on social media and the internet can rob us of quality time spent with the humans who are right next to us, walking through life with us. We spend time reading articles and posts about a plethora of subjects which sometimes only confuse us further about the subject. I read a lot, and I'm sure that if I added up the time I spend reading Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, I would probably have read about a thousand books by now.

When I think about it that way, it makes me feel terrible!

So trying to remember facts, figures, and quotes we read on social media isn't as important as we think it is. We (I) waste too much time reading random things that don't pertain to my life.

Here's a question for you: Why do I need to have an opinion on all of these issues? Am I a government official who gives weekly briefings on said subjects who needs to know what I'm talking about in case someone asks me a tough question? No. I'm just me, trying to live my life to the fullest. I'm just trying to love God, serve people, and find my way in this world.

I think knowing the answers to tough questions is important, but it is pointless to exhaust ourselves trying to make sure we pack all the answers into out brains "in case someone asks." I serve a God who has all the answers. I am merely his vessel of love to those around me. And yes, I do think it is important to have answers, but I don't think I should see it that way. Common sense is an antiquated idea these days, so maybe that's all I really need to focus on. Reading too many opinions and facts may seem like a good way to know everything, but sometimes it just clouds our view. Simplifying (I am coming to understand) is the answer to a life of peace and honest common sense. Kind of like an old farmer who gets up with the sun and goes to bed with the setting of it. He doesn't ask why, he just follows its lead every morning and evening.

It is possible to simplify. It is possible to read less while still reading more (things you enjoy that fill your soul, not your mind with randomness).

We'll see how well I do with simplifying this new year. Already I have done fairly well, making time to write, read beautiful books, and focus on certain texts that aren't all over the place but are focused on one specific subject. I've had meaningful email discussions already and have cut down on the news and difficult things I read on social media.

I plan to just BE more as time ticks away. Be as in take it slow, think it through, and love the ones God has surrounded me with on a daily basis. The past six months have shown me that I can avoid getting involved in things I don't have time for, even though my sinful nature may want to "put my oar in" as the old saying goes.

No, going forward I will try to keep rowing by and be available without opening my mouth or my mind too much.

At the end of the day, what really matters is whose eyes I brightened with a joke, whose face I helped put a smile on, and who I helped to understand a difficult concept or truth by using the common sense God gave me. I love him deeply and want to serve him by not wasting the time he's given me and being more prepared every day to engage in a prayer conversation with him and listen when he talks back.

Finding satisfaction in him and what he has for me is more fulfilling than allowing my brain to run wild while gathering information I don't need.

Comments

Popular Posts