Job Interviews and Why I Love Them

I went to a job interview for a tutoring position yesterday and had so much fun. I usually don't get too nervous beforehand, which is odd but nice. This time I felt a little flutter in my stomach right before I walked in but they dissipated the moment I met the interviewers.

I like interviews because 1. I get to talk about myself, and 2. It's fun to act confident and feel like you're really being looked at as a professional. This time was nice because as the interview progressed, I learned interesting things about the people interviewing me. All three of us laughed quite a bit, so that was a contributing factor to my overall satisfaction with the experience.

Here are a few tips I try to remember for the interview process:

Preparing to be interviewed is important for young people because sooner or later, a potential supervisor is going to want to meet with you about a job or some other kind of position. You need to look sharp, be polite, and always be ready to speak well of yourself, even if you aren't feeling particularly confident that day.

My experience with public speaking is a definite leg up for this potential job. I absolutely love breaking information down into understandable concepts that an audience can grasp. I LOVE watching people walk away with a smile on their face and knowing I did my best to help them think critically about something. Make sure you think on your feet and mention things that could contribute to the job for which you are applying.

Obviously, your attire is important. I wore a light blue pencil striped shirt dress with a bow that goes around the waist. I love that dress because it makes me feel confident and feminine. There's nothing wrong with looking sweet and approachable for a job interview. Wear what makes you comfortable but something that is also sharp and professional. First impressions are always important and attire that is pleasing to the eye is always a good choice.

I don't usually wear makeup, but yesterday I wore some eye shadow and mascara for a touch of color. My skin doesn't really show it and I don't ever wear heavy makeup, but it made me feel a little more confident to wear some.

Smiling pleasantly and breathing deeply is important if you want to appear calm and collected. I laughed quite a bit (because that's me) but not too much. I didn't want to seem silly or like a person who is unable to control their emotions. Just keep yourself a little more in check than usual and you'll be fine.

Just my thoughts on the interview process. I hope it helps.

Comments

Popular Posts