Little Women: Movie Review

Well. I just got back from the movie theater where I saw the new modern remake of Little Women.

I have been anticipating the release of this film ever since I saw it advertised, and it did not disappoint.

It was a beautiful, heartfelt and creative version of the classic novel. I especially appreciated the literary references, one of which was a clear nod to the Pilgrim's Progress. I like how the director had the actresses act out scenes from the famous work, and integrate the theme of the spiritual journey into the story itself.

Throughout the entire film, Beth wears a small gold cross on a chain around her neck. I felt this meant that she was the one of the spiritual leaders of the March home, along with her father. As we all know, Beth is the sister who encourages the others. She is the one who makes them believe whenever they think all is lost. Therefore, I saw in her the heavenly light that is hope, woven throughout this new version.

The actresses all played their parts with excellence. The young man who portrays Laurie was excellent, and when he declares his love for Jo, it was totally believable, unlike the newer PBS version that was, well, not quite believable.

In this version, Jo March is so fiery! I loved the actress who plays this character. She is all over the place, all the time, and I think that is how Jo March is supposed to be. She constantly overflows with story ideas and feelings. I also loved that she was a bit of a tomboy... her dragon print t-shirts made me smile because I identify with that. Jo is weird; she has to be! By watching (and reading) her character, I find that I too, want to be weird. Or rather, MYSELF.

Leah Thompson was an excellent Marmee. She has such a sweet and gentle beauty and I felt her connection with the other actresses really meant she enjoyed playing the part. The scene when their father comes home and she runs into his arms and kisses him made me cry. Those kinds of scenes always do...

When Meg attends a party after being "done up" by her girlfriends, she gets into a dangerous situation with a guy who has been drinking. Some might think this was over the top for a new version of Little Women (Meg wasn't a bad girl!) but I thought it fit perfectly into our modern times. She realizes that she's made a mistake and pushes the guy away, finding out that he doesn't see her as special at all.

You come to see that Meg really just wants to be preparing herself to make her own home, with her own husband. That's where John Brooke comes in... and he is just as sweet in this one as the rest of them.

I LOVED the scene when Meg and Jo disagree about why Meg wants to get married. Jo doesn't want to attend the wedding because she just hates it that things are changing. Meg stands up to her and, in my opinion, makes a strong speech about a woman's choice. Jo can't believe her sister would give up her freedom "for a man," and Meg counters her argument beautifully by saying that her choice is just as important as Jo's. She tells her sister that her dream is to have a home, a husband, and a family of her own. That may not be Jo's choice, but it is hers.

Contrary to what we see in our culture today, there are women out there who WANT to be married and start a family... there will always be women who want that kind of life, because that is their dream.

The director did such a beautiful job of writing that into the script, and I think it is a strong and pertinent lesson for "little women" today.

So, if you're hesitant about taking your daughters to see Little Women, don't. The message is fair and balanced, and not political at all. This version makes sure to touch on the dreams and aspirations of all women, including those of us who are crazy, weird, and all over the place creatives.

Jo is a runner in this version, which made me think immediately of Elizabeth Bennet and her affinity for walking. Jo runs to "work out her anger" and I think Elizabeth walks to help herself think, and to feel free. The act of exercise seems to be something these characters must do to order their thoughts and be in connection with their inner selves.

In the movie, both weddings (yes, there are two) are home weddings... my favorite. I loved how they decorated with Mason jars and other homey items.

Freddy Bhaer is lovely in this one, too. He is a bit older than Jo (who is 29 when she falls in love with him) but it's not weird because of the timeline of this story version. I liked his quiet demeanor, much like Gabriel Byrne's in the 1994 film version. Professor Bhaer is supposed to be the calm to Jo's storm, and this actor played that part well. You can see in his eyes the love he has for Jo, and how he knows she will come around in the end. His quiet waiting is so romantic, I almost wish they would have spent more time on their love story like the 1994 version does.

In the end, I LOVED IT and I will be buying it on DVD the moment it becomes available. I can't wait to see what the director does next because this was one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time.

One last thing: The March girls call themselves the "Weird Homeschool Girls" which I thought was very funny and (obviously) another aspect with which I identify.

Comments

Popular Posts