My Minimalist Jewelry Box

To be honest, I did not realize how much minimalism would begin to be incorporated into my life once I began the journey.

I find myself wanting to get rid of things or clean out areas of the house almost daily. However, I can't spend that much time each day decluttering, so I mostly save it for the weekends.

Today, I grabbed my jewelry box (the one that used to be my Mom's... I love it so much) and opened it up to assess the contents. It is strange how when you clean it out once, as I did a few months ago, you think "Oh, I did that already. It's done," when in reality, you previously convinced yourself that there were items hiding inside it that you "needed" to keep.

I found that this was not true once I opened it up again!

There were several, and I mean, SEVERAL things I either never wear or that are getting old and tarnished. Before you make a noise, no, I did not throw away any sterling silver jewelry that could be cleaned and polished! I kept all the pieces that I wear that need to be cleaned.

There were a few items that held memories for me, but I touched them once, then threw them away. Over the course of this minimalist journey, I really have learned to let go of things easier. It does not feel like I am forcing myself to let go now, in the beginning it did a little, though. Now, it just feels good and right to rid myself of things that clutter my brain just by being in the same room where I sleep!

I don't say this to sound funny, because it is true. The more stuff I hang onto, the more I feel I am held back by physical things that don't mean anything to me. I am not getting rid of the items that I find valuable in an emotional sense, because that would be counterproductive. That would mean I am further burdening myself with the pain of letting go when I should feel free and happy to donate slightly used items or throw away trash that is lurking in the corners.

My jewelry box used to be even more full of stuff (costume jewelry, etc) that will not stand the test of time. Looking at it now, it makes me sad that I thought those things would last, when in real life, I was only buying those things because they fed my addiction to sparkly junk.

And here's a really honest moment for you: Most of the things I've bought in the past just weren't... ME.

They were either hyped by advertising or I saw one of my friends with one of whatever it was. I don't want to be that person... the person who buys things so they feel like they "fit in" with everyone else. I've never been that person, ever, and I don't intend to start now.

I don't look good in sparkly shoes. Neither do I need a purse with printed cartoon or animals all over it. Those things are hyped by the stores where I see them displayed and my eyes are tricked into thinking "MUST HAVE!"

I used to shop at Charming Charlie's all the time... now I can't seem to find anything I want in there. It's all just too much, if I'm honest.

Yes, there will be times in the future when I mess up and buy something stupid. But for the most part, focusing on the relationships in my life and the experiences I have and will have are far, far more important that buying something sparkly that ends up in the back of my drawer.

I need very few things. And the few things I truly need are: My family, my best friend, good/healthy food, a nice walk, my Bible, my church family, good books to read and good clothes to wear.

Anything more and I am giving in to the hype. I am just tired of wanting unnecessary things.

Comments

Popular Posts