Thoughts of an aspiring Minimalist

Hello.

I went into an antique/craft mall today and didn't buy a thing. They had lots of nice booths and items, but I kept thinking about how easy it was to dust my bedroom this morning without having to move a bunch of STUFF to get the dust up! And my floor has been clear for a while now, which I love. I absolutely am obsessed with having bare walls and floor space. It opens up the room so that I can think without my mind feeling cluttered.

Another upside: I have been writing more and thinking about what I am writing more. Not to mention, doing this keeps me away from the bookstore where I spend entirely too much money on a regular basis. I haven't been there in weeks.

I will also be renewing my library card this week. The Read Aloud Revival podcast suggests utilizing your library instead of buying a book because if you buy it, there is no urgency to finish it in a manageable amount of time. 3 weeks is more than enough time to spend reading one volume.

In addition, it really makes me think: If I don't have time to spend reading a book, what am I spending my time doing?

Social media eats up the hours in my day, and it is NOT productive at all. In any way, really. Unless you are connecting with friends far away. Therefore, I took the app off my phone. It's just easier for me that way than having it be easily accessible, because as we all know, once you click on it and get pulled in and three hours later, it's time for bed.

God has really convicted me lately about how much of my time I waste. I throw it away, then think "Oh my! Where did the time go?!" Well Amy, it went down the drain because you clicked on the app! But no more... This will be hard though, I am sure.

I have been enjoying my paired down closet, also. It is SO much easier to have outfits you know fit and look nice close at hand. Each morning, I don't have to think about what this or that goes with, should I wear this, blah blah blah. I'd like to trim it down even more, but I'm not sure if it needs it just yet. I recommend cutting down on the items in your closet that you have not worn in a long time. Your routine will be much more simple and stress-free. I like the feeling of knowing whatever I put on I will like because I've gotten rid of the things I wasn't sure about. Imagine not having to freak out about what to wear every day! Imagine only having certain pieces that go with certain things! It really is amazing and I don't know why I didn't do this before now.

I guess I just got caught up in consumerism, which is okay, but once it takes over it is not a good thing. If you feel overwhelmed by the items and clothing in your home, they are not good for you... Get rid of them!

I spent money on lunch and a movie with a friend today and don't feel bad about it at all. I would rather spend money on things like that than items that fill up my closet that I won't wear after a while. The thrill always leaves in about two weeks time.

I would also like to simplify my life in certain other ways, if that makes any sense. Practicality is something I want to be better at doing.

Comments

Popular Posts