Arrival at Fort Clatsop

Dad and I got up this morning and drove to Fort Clatsop National Park near Astoria.

The fort is the reason we were inspired to make this trip in the first place, so it was quite satisfying to see it with our own eyes. The visitor's center has an excellent exhibit with lots of artifacts and informative videos. There is an impressive statue of Lewis and Clark that stands in front of a large window toward the back of the museum that I liked very much.

We walked into the gift shop and I bought a small replica of the coin the explorers gave to the Native Americans to show them they came in peace. It has a picture of Thomas Jefferson on one side, and a picture of shaking hands on the other and says something about peace on it. The coin isn't so large that I could not wear it on a necklace chain, so I will probably do that. Yesterday, which I will cover in my next post, I bought a small silver charm at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center at Cape Disappointment that has Meriwether Lewis' face on it. I just adore the charm and I think I am the only girl in America (maybe) who would wear something like that around her neck.

After viewing the exhibit at Fort Clatsop, we walked out of the center and down a mossy, tree covered path to the fort itself.

I know it is just a replica of the original, but wow, it is so cool. We took pictures at the entrance gate and then took our time looking inside the different barrack-like rooms of the fort. Sacajawea and husband Charbonneau and their child spent the first winter of 1805 in the room at the front of the fort, on the right side. The rooms are quite small and the ceilings low, but I am sure the Corps of Discovery was grateful to have a solid shelter to spend the winter.

The Columbia River is nearby and there are trails leading around the edge of the water. The Corps hunted in the woods and traded with the Native Americans on a regular basis. The fort is named Clatsop, in honor of the Clatsop tribe. I thought that was quite interesting.

We very much enjoyed the fort and after walking through it and taking pictures, we sat on a carved wooden bench and looked at the tall trees and enjoyed the cool air.

More about our adventures on Sunday in my next post which I will be writing shortly.

Comments

Popular Posts