Buying Clothes as an Aspiring Minimalist

Over the past few days, I have had several people tell me that they have begun cleaning out their closets, etc in order to embrace a more minimalist lifestyle. I found myself smiling when they told me this because one of them mentioned my posts on Facebook and how they influenced them to begin the process.

Cleaning out is always hard, but embracing a new lifestyle is even harder. Saving money has been a big push for me to do this, other than that, I just wanted to get rid of all the mountains of clutter that were filling up my house. Per my previous posts, you can see that I have come a very long way in the process.

Here's the thing: I still want to get rid of MORE.

There are a few items currently sitting on my dresser (I am looking at them right now) that I don't feel the need to keep anymore. It comes down to the fact that I like clean surfaces and clear spaces more than I do said items. The joy I find in blank areas has become important to me and the way I live my life. Items that had sentimental value for a while need no longer to take up space in my bedroom. My heart is big enough to remember these things fondly, but it is time to let them go so that I can move on.

One item is a Beauty and the Beast snow globe. There is a bubble in the top and I think that means it is getting old. I do love it, but it takes up space and I love my La Belle Dame Sans Merci print which hangs above it more than I want to keep the globe. These are the kinds of decisions one must make when trying to create the minimalist lifestyle!

It is not easy, but it is necessary.

Then there are the clothes. I have literally cleaned out my closet 3 times now, each being a major purge, but there are still items I am holding onto that I do not wear or like. I keep grabbing the same outfits over and over (I read this would happen once the minimalist process began) and have enjoyed wearing my favorite things more than once in a two week period. Laundry is much easier also because you do one or two little loads on the weekend, then it's back to normal Monday morning, switching outfits around, etc.

I know there are people out there who think they would not be able to survive with only a few clothes to wear, but it really is freeing.

Here's an example for you: I work with a girl who (seems to) rotates her outfits. She has a few pieces that go together and mixes and matches them. I see her 5 times a week and she always has on at least one item I saw her in a few days before or the week before. And you know what? She ALWAYS looks great. She is always clean, polished, and comfortable in her outfits because she likes them and finds joy in wearing the pieces she already owns.

Confession: I got on Old Navy's website and looked at the sale items yesterday. I bought 3 new pieces. But here's the catch: I will get rid of three (or four, or more) when they arrive in the mail. It has literally become this "thing" in the back of my brain that makes me uncomfortable knowing I've bought some items but haven't gotten rid of anything.

Sometimes I don't think this process will ever end, but it takes a conscious effort to remove and not add to the items in my home.

In regard to clothing: look, if you need something, buy it. The thing with the two dresses and jacket I bought is that I will wear them over and over. They are good, basic pieces that I can dress up with some of my favorite accessories (of which I don't have many anymore).

So don't feel bad about buying some new clothing items every now and then. If you need something it's okay. Just don't go overboard and search out sales on a regular basis. Spend money only on the essentials. Everything else will clutter your life and that isn't healthy.

Comments

Popular Posts