Olympic National Park, Marymere Falls, and Lake Crescent Lodge

Even though there was rain in the forecast for today, Dad and I decided to make the drive to Olympic National Park. The rain here is different because it can move in quickly, then move out even faster so you never know what you are going to get. That is part of the reason I did not want to waste our day stuck inside. I remember how Colorado can be the same way when it comes to mountain storms.

We had a lovely breakfast at the Miller Tree Inn (or the Cullen House for all of the Twilight fans... more about Twilight later) and hit the road. It was only about a 45 minute drive to Crescent Lake and we were so happy that the rain sort of disappeared as we kept on driving.

Olympic National Park is massive, so you are going to see many different things as you drive through. Hurricane Ridge was pretty far away, near Port Angeles, so we just made a day of driving around the beautiful lake.

Dad's Aunt Alma had a theory of pressing on through the rain no matter what and we are so glad we took her advice.

The moment we burst through the trees and onto the road that winds around the large body of water was monumental. The forests cover the surrounding mountains that rise around the lake and the clouds looked like great swaths of cotton draped over the treetops. The water is a sort of blue/grey/green and is so clear, you can see straight to the bottom. I told Mom the entire area reminds me of the 1960s movie, The Parent Trap because the camp where the twin girls meet is in a setting much like this area.

We pulled off the road and took some pictures of the mist covered mountains and the massive lake. I hope my camera shots do it justice because it was breathtaking.

We then stopped at a Ranger station and hiked up to Marymere Falls, a GORGEOUS waterfall hidden among the mossy rain forest.

The trail leading into the wooded area was wide and well-kept. There was quite a bit of mud, but we didn't mind... we were going to see a waterfall!

I could hear the water the closer we got to the falls and got more excited with each step. As we rounded the bend, there was a lovely wooden bridge that was spread out over the fast-flowing creek... and more crystal clear water.

We crossed the wide bridge and were met with another wooden bridge, more crude in nature and only about as wide as a large log. I held on tight as I crossed it, then turned to see the lovely view of Marymere Falls.

Obviously, Flat Margaret had to take a picture, so I took care of that then stood back and admired the lovely scenery. The falls are very high and we did the rest of the hike up very steep, wet steps to the lookout point. I haven't seen many waterfalls in my lifetime, but this one really took the cake for me. It was like something out of Neverland...

Dad continued up the steps after we took some pictures and I followed him some of the way, but I became a little dizzy (heights, eek!) so stopped and started the hike back down to the creek area.

After making it back to the trail, we stood by the creek for a while and talked about how the fish like the deepest parts in the bend of the creek. Dad says they like it in there because bugs fall off the branches of the overhanging trees and there is more oxygen for them.

My Dad, he knows a lot of things.

After we left the falls, we drove down the road to Lake Crescent Lodge that has been there since 1910. It has lovely little cottages that overlook the water and the lodge itself is a beautiful, cream colored building with an enchanting porch area. I loved how they had wicker chairs and little tables set out for guests to eat breakfast and look out the paned windows to the lake. It definitely has a romantic vibe to it and the dock is very wide so you can walk out on it and admire the mountains and the clear water below.

If I was rich, I'd spent my entire summer there swimming and hiking. How great would that be?

Comments

Popular Posts